What do I need to participate in Indiana Kayak Anglers tournaments?
Besides your kayak and your fishing gear, you’ll need the following items:
- Kayak, Canoe, or SUP. All craft must be human-powered (pedal or paddle). No electric or gas motors.
- Approved Measuring Device. Check the resources page for sources to purchase one. Allowable boards are the Hawg Trough (make sure the lines are marked cleanly with a black permanent marker) and the Ketch board.
- Digital Camera. Either a standard single purpose camera or the one on your smartphone. Now that we’re using tourneyx.com, it is highly recommended that you use a smartphone with an active data plan to streamline the submission of your photos.
- Personal Flotation Device. All events REQUIRE these to be worn at ALL TIMES.
- Indiana Fishing License. All laws of the state must be followed along with any regulations for the water you’re fishing.
How do I sign up to fish a tournament?
How do the events work?
There’s a simple process for registering for and fishing our events. All registration and payment is completed via tourneyx.com, which then accepts payment via PayPal. Find the link to the event on the homepage or the event’s Facebook event page. A few days prior to the event, we will go Live on Facebook with the captain’s meeting for that event. In addition, here is a general rules video that you must watch that covers general rules for the 2019 season. The night before the event, we will draw and publish the codes (do not use the code generated by TourneyX) that must be written on our Indiana Kayak Anglers photo token. On the morning of the event, simply utilize an approved launch location at the published on the water time and start fishing! At the end of the event, return to tournament headquarters by the published time to check-in with the tournament directors so that they can ensure you’re safely off the water.
A basic checklist for fishing an event:
- Register and pay your entry fee via TourneyX
- Fill out the waiver of liability (once per season)
- Watch the general rules video
- Watch the event-specific captain’s meeting
- Prepare your gear, including your Hawg Trough or Ketch board, PFD, license, photo token.
How does Catch, Photo, Release work?
For all of our events (and most kayak fishing tournaments), we use Catch, Photo, Release (or CPR). After you catch the fish, a proper photo is taken and submitted for judging. Total length for the tournament determines your finish in the competition.
In addition to the criteria described in the above photo, your hand cannot cover the eye of the fish. For more information regarding the photo standards for our CPR events, see our rules page.